Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Finances Department.
CONTEXT AND GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POST
The Finances Department, and more specifically the Accounting Service, has implemented different policies aimed at supporting Accounting Managers (ACMA) in order to improve field support.
One of the measures to support ACMAs and the missions is the creation of the Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) position, whose principal responsibility is to visit the missions and coach and train the ACMAs in the field who, through a lack of experience and knowledge, may be in need of backup and to support OCBA’s emergencies temporarily covering the ACMA position till a replacement is identified
The MIO is responsible for take on technical accounting coordination responsibilities within MSF Spain missions, in order to guarantee the quality, the fair image and transparency of field accounts, while contributing to the development of the current ACMAs’ competences and skills.
The MIO is part of the Accounting Service at headquarters.
In the mission, the MIO hierarchically depends on the coordination team of the mission and is functionally related to Accounting Service. In Barcelona, the MIO hierarchically depends on the Head of Accounting service.
The MIO reports to the coordination team and to the Head of the Accounting and works in close collaboration with the Acters and Cell members.
RESPONSABILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
- Acting as an ACMA (mainly a period not exceeding 2 months) when this position in vacant (mainly new Emergencies).
- Training and supporting the Acma in his/her tasks:
- Guaranteeing the quality and timely accounting for the whole mission: cash procedures, bank accounts, paper accounting (receipts and support documents), electronic data-entry, consolidation of overall mission accounting, monthly closing process and documents.
- Ensuring compliance to MSF guidelines, standards, policies, and procedures for the mission: in particular financial standards and procedures, and engagement of expenditure (purchasing and payment procedures)
- Coordinating and supervising the accounting of the mission (accounting, treasury, audit procedures, etc) in compliance with legal obligations and with MSF standards and protocols in order to provide quality, reliable and transparent information to the organization on the use and allocation of resources in the mission.
- Providing training to the persons who register the accountancy in the field (mainly FinAdmin). Give technical support in order to improve the quality of the field accountancy.
- Coordinating and oversee the implementation and payment of tax liabilities and tax organization in the country taking into account tax exemptions, in order to comply with legal obligations
- Acting and supporting Accounting and Financial departments of a mission when reinforcement or an extra collaboration is temporarily required (mainly a period not exceeding 2 months) to guarantee the quality and timely of the accounting data and processes.
- Supporting Acma with the New Chart of Accounts implemented in 2014 and, if needed, with the new accounting principles to be implemented in 2016 (double entry accounting, provisions, amortisations, etc).
- Training and support on the MSF accounting software / system.
- Briefs on specific accountancy management all staff involved (Mission Coordination Team, Administration Managers, Logistics Managers, etc).
- Producing a report on the visits after carrying out each coaching activity. The reports will be addressed to the Acma , the Finoco , the Acter and the Head of Accountancy Service.
- When the MIO is not visiting a mission, and after enjoying his/her R&R and/or holiday periods, exceptionally s/he may have to:
- Participate in training sessions and other national and international events as required.
- Participate in meetings at department and service level
- Participate in updating and adapting the existing tools (manuals, material,ec..)
Education and experience
- Training: Economics and/or Business Administration or proven experience in financial and equivalent accounting management position of at least 1 year.
- MSF experience: minimum 12 months or 2 missions.
- Very good knowledge of the FFC/Sap.
- Spanish, English and French: at least two of these languages fluently written and spoken
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Availability to travel frequently and flexibility in terms of working hours
- Pedagogic skills.
- Position based in each home based having to travel frequently (minimum 80 % of his/her working time)
- Full time job.
- Contract: determined period 6 months extensible
- Annual gross salary: 28,267.44 Euros (divided into 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-E guideline.
- Starting date: 15th June 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “MIO Accounting" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 02/06/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.