Position: Communications Intern – International Human
Contract: 10 months - 50%
Starting date: 1 March 2019
Deadline for application: 5 February 2019
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
MSF is composed of 21 independent ‘sections’ (offices) that have committed to an international approach for many human resources policies and strategies. Effective internal communication is fundamental for ensuring the success of these initiatives, with the MSF International Office planning, facilitating or delivering much of this communications support.
III.PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Communications Intern – International Human Resources (HR) Projects will be based in Geneva within the International Office. S/he will report to the Communications Officer for International HR Projects.
IV.OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The purpose of the Communications Intern position is to support the Communications Officer in the implementation of communications plans for international HR initiatives. These are especially focused on rewards systems (e.g. compensation and benefits) and MSF’s International Reference Field Function Grid, along with a range of other projects, such as MSF’s global LinkedIn page and various international HR reports.
The successful candidate will gain experience in many aspects of internal HR-focused communication for a large international non-governmental organization.
The Communications Intern role will include:
- Assisting in the production of communications materials for HR, such as written content, publications, videos, presentations, graphics and other tools
- Supporting the translation of communications tools, especially into French, such as by liaising with translators, editing translations and/or maintaining HR translation glossaries
- Supporting audience research initiatives, such as by developing surveys or undertaking research interviews
- Helping to maintain content on international HR Sharepoint sites
- Providing other administrative support for communications initiatives as needed
Qualifications and work experience
- A first experience in the field of communications or another relevant discipline
- Currently studying towards or having recently completed a university degree in communications, journalism, human resources or another relevant discipline
- Knowledge of MSF or the international humanitarian sector is an asset
- Excellent (fluent or native-level) written communication skills in English or French, with an advanced level in the other language also preferred. Spanish or Arabic would also be an asset.
- Proficiency in desktop publishing tools (e.g. InDesign and Photoshop), video editing software, and presentation tools (e.g. PowerPoint)
- Comfortable in the use of website content management systems for content maintenance
- Attentive to detail, shows initiative and self-motivated
- Genuine interest in supporting the work of MSF and learning about internal communication for a global humanitarian organisation
In order to qualify for an internship position, the applicants should be prepared to provide documentary evidence that they are in one of the following situations:
- Currently enrolled in a certifying training in Switzerland;
- Between certifying trainings (eg. Bachelor and Master) with the condition that the utility of the internship is certified by the training institution organizing the second training.
- Professional or social reinsertion according to federal or canton legal mechanisms.
Failure to do so will result in ineligibility for the position.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Apply Here
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply