Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Human Resources Department.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
The current JD is compiling two different responsibilities:
- Assuming the supervision of the matchings and the development of experienced profiles towards strategic positions
- Assuming the Profile management of one strategic pool (MedCo or HoM), regarding the final profile of the person chosen
The Coordinator of Strategic Positions is hierarchically accountable to the Head of Recruitment, Development and Pool Manager and aims at contributing to guaranteeing the presence in the MSF OCBA projects necessary professionals based on quality and quantity needs in the short, mid and long term. This will be achieved by managing a pool of professionals matching the Organisation’s requirements.
The position is placed within the HR Department including the Management and Assistant to the Department and 5 units: Policy Making; HR Management Unit; Recruitment, Development and Pool Management; Training; and Administration of Persons.
The Recruitment, Development and Pool Management Unit is made up of a team of Profile Managers and one Recruitment unit.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS AS COORDINATOR OF STRATEGIC POSITIONS
The coordinator should have the global picture in terms of HR International Staff capacities and needs and establish the most adequate assignment of resources to support the coverage of the strategic positions in the organisation at the same time that ensures the development of the International Staff to guarantee the future coverage.
The positions considered as Strategic should be aligned with the operational strategies and needs and will comprise Coordinators for regular and ER missions and HICs, for assertive states and for missions with high risk of gap.
- Coordinate the follow up and coverage of the Strategic positions
Coordinate the Pool Managers involved in the Follow up of the Strategic Positions (HoM, LogCo, MedCo, HRCo, FinCo, FC & PMR):
- Leader the biweekly meetings together with the Pool Managers concerned to ensure the coverage and a proper balance of the possible assignments in Coordination positions
- Bimonthly meeting with the cells for an operational update and to provide a mid-long term HR perspective of the coverage of the Strategic Positions
- Detect Talent and support development towards Strategic Positions
- Together with the other Pool Managers, detect talent within the FC, PMR and Vocationer pools and support development towards Strategic Positions
- Define ad hoc career paths (specific trainings and assignments) to facilitate the development
- Deploy an specific Follow up for Strategic Positions with High Risk of Gap and Assertive States
- Support the implementation of new projects linked with the development and retention of senior international staff as the Tandem System, Mentoring programme…
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS AS PROFILE MANAGER
- Development of his/her Pool based on Operational Needs
The Profile Manager is the professional in charge of developing a pool of International Staff (and National Staff holding field coordination positions) aligned with the Operations needs in MSF-OCBA.
- Design and implement strategies to build the HR capacity needed for short, medium and long term.
- Ensure the quantitative and qualitative follow-up of his/her pool and analyse it accordingly so as to anticipate future recruitment, selection and development needs.
- S/he will be responsible for designing and applying the retention strategies and policies defined in the unit and the HR department and measure the results according to the indicators set.
- Guarantee the follow-up and development of International Staff (and National Staff holding field coordination positions) within the Organisation with future insight in terms future missions based on Operational needs.
- Follow up and analyse the evaluations and identify transversal development needs of the pool based on current gaps of capacities or foreseen future needs in Operations.
- HR Development and Career Management
The Profile Manager is the reference person for the International Staff (and National Staff holding field coordination positions) in terms of Development and Career Management of our HR in MSF-OCBA.
- Identify the development needs of each person of the pool in terms of competencies, languages and technical improvement areas.
- Support each person of the pool to reinforce their strengths and assimilate the improvement areas detected.
- Debrief the pool at the end of assignment, focusing on their future professional motivations and the reinforcement of their development challenges.
- Follow and be in contact with each person of his/her pool and support their professional development, orienting their career path within the Organisation based on the individual interests and the organizational needs.
- Provide development solutions to support the reinforcement of the improvement areas of each person (matching, responsibilities assignment, training, mentoring, shadowing and training) and support and follow-up the process of application to trainings for all the people of the pool.
- Invest development efforts based on the commitment to MSF, performance and potential/interest in critical positions of each person of the pool, giving priority in terms of development to people under Long-Term Commitment
- Design and implement Development Plans (in around 3 years perspective) to people under Long-term Commitment
The Profile Manager is responsible for searching, identifying and appointing the people to fill field vacancies, seeing in turn to the development of a career path for the International Staff (and National Staff holding field coordination positions) throughout their professional life in the Organisation.
- Based on the Annual Plan drawn up by the HR Management, fill the vacancies well in advance, conveying the information to HR reference officers in the Operational Cells (Rehucos) and the Travel Unit so that departure to the mission can be accordingly organised.
- Ensure the availability in the Organisation of people having profiles matching operational needs, ready to leave for the projects, while coordinating with the Medical and Operations departments to know and anticipate needs in MSF-OCBA.
- Ensure communication / consulting with other profile managers about common positions in order to appoint the candidates best suiting the job requirements.
- Ensure together with the REHUCO that International Staff (and National Staff holding field coordination positions) have been subjected to all general and technical evaluations required.
- Keep information about availability and qualification of the candidates up to date on the SAP database
- Guarantee that all the candidates pre-matched have access to the needed and updated information about the position, project, living and working conditions.
- Interaction with the Recruitment Unit
The Profile Manager is responsible for setting the priority needs for the Recruitment Unit in terms of recruitment and selection of International Staff for his/her pool well in advance so as to ensure enough HR having the qualifications, training and competencies needed to address operational needs.
- Interaction with other OC’s and Partner Sections
- Jointly with the Head of Unit, define, follow and ensure the achievement of in the HR agreement with Partner Sections.
- Coordinate with the pool managers of the others OC’s , sharing needs, information and resources when needed and possible,
- Revise in a regular basis the vacancy list to be shared with the other OC’s and Partner Sections.
- Gather and share HR best practices with other OCs/PSs and participate in international meetings when required.
- Other tasks:
- Participate in the department and unit planning as well as in defining and/or adjusting the MSF Spain /OCBA HR policy.
- Participate as a facilitator in training courses and workshops organised by MSF Spain/OCBA.
- Participate in the implementation of outplacement policies for MSF SPAIN /OCBA International Staff within the MSF Policy framework.
Education and experience
- Provable education and / or experience in HR; an added value experience as pool manager
- Having a profile similar to the pool will be a plus
- Field experience with MSF in various projects (any sections) will be a plus
- Good command of English and Spanish. French desirable.
- IT knowledge as a user (Microsoft Office setting).
- Knowledge / experience in ERP/SAP systems will be a plus
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in Barcelona at the Médecins Sans Frontières Spain Headquarters.
- Structural position: minimum personal commitment of 3 years
- Full time job
- Annual gross salary: 38,805.73 € (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
- Starting: July 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- All applicants should send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Strategic Positions PM Coord” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: July 21st , 2019.
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
MSF OCBA is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we are committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.