Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 24 sections and offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens, Buenos Aires and decentralized in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
MSF has recently decided to increase activity in recruitment drives, namely in medical congresses, national and international gatherings and to hold information sessions on the work done in the field and identify Portuguese staff (expatriates) through Pool managers in order to help in the info sessions mentioned above.
We will also step up communication in Portugal, specifically geared towards recruitment and at the same time consolidating communication work to raise public awareness, increase engagement with civil society and enhance leverage. Next to the direct work with external media (pitching news, interviews, etc.), we will organize public events such as round tables, debates, film screenings, etc. with a special focus on recruitment objectives but also to boost awareness, and will make use of digital tools to facilitate participation from the public at large.
MSF has also carried out a market assessment for fundraising in Portugal. Preliminary findings indicate a market that is well-primed for investment. Given this, we intend to jointly (MSF-OCBA, MSF-Brazil) develop Portugal as a “new market” for fundraising as part of the larger package of value added investment (HR, communication, FR).
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The objectives of the position are twofold: on one hand to act as focal point for all direct interactions with civil society and the institutions that represent it to raise awareness, build and consolidate links, gain support for MSF's mission and reinforce its awareness rate; on the other hand to support OCBA Recruitment Unit in activities directly aimed at increasing the quality and quantity of Portuguese profiles recruited as International Staff for MSF operations.
The person will be accountable to a Portugal Planning and Development Committee, her/his daily management will be with the Head of Public Engagement in Barcelona and will functionally link to the OCBA Recruitment Unit and OCBA and MSF Brazil Communication Departments depending on the issue at hand. She/he hierarchically manages the Press Officer based in Lisbon.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REPRESENTATION AND ENGAGEMENT
- Acts as spokespeople/representative (vis-à-vis the media and public/private institutions).
- Identifies and nurtures relationships with target institutional representatives, as well as other NGOs and organisations
- Coordinates relationships and responds to requests directed to MSF by institutions (Universities, government bodies, think tanks, Foundations, etc.) and/or other NGOs and organisations
- Identifies opportunities for events that support strategic objectives (e.g. recruitment and awareness raising)
- Contributes to define, plan, coordinate and implement events and campaigns aimed at strengthening engagement with civil society as well as raising awareness rate, inform, gain support and/or recruit staff for MSF’s missions
- Works closely with Barcelona on preliminary work for eventual FR activities.
- Identifies sources of experienced personnel from different profiles in Portugal (Medical and Non-Medical):
- Identifies congresses, national and international gatherings and platforms where MSF can attend, promote the work done on the field, explain the recruitment criteria and explain how candidates can apply.
- Identifies popular job posting website and platforms, where MSF can disseminate its job offers for the field.
- Accumulates data in order to have a market study at an advanced stage, so we can analyze the Portuguese market added value and align it to our operational needs in Angola and Guinea Bissau mainly and the rest of our operations secondly.
- Identifies platforms of unexperienced generation in Portugal (university and master students):
- Identifies those platforms where MSF can attend, promote the work done in the field and explain the path to reach the experience needed, so in the future those interested can start building their curriculum.
- Creates, through networking with educational entities, a space for MSF to hold informational sessions about the work done in the field.
- Identifies Portuguese expatriates through Pool managers, in order to help in the info sessions.
- Supports the recruitment unit in carrying on recruitment campaigns in Portugal, through advising on the best channels of dissemination.
- Supports the recruitment unit when it comes to organizing Assessment centers in Portugal to evaluate the pre-selected candidates.
- Centralizes and share all the data regarding the aforementioned platforms and contacts with the recruitment unit.
- Drafts advertisements for open calls for applications to publicize vacancies externally, in coordination with the publishing agency.
- Manages publications and job offers on the various communication channels.
- Takes part in active recruiting activities.
3. MANAGEMENT AND COORDINATION
- Planning and budgeting: she/he will elaborate the annual plan of strategic objectives and activities as well as the budget for the Portugal office with the guidance and supervision of the Steering Committee.
- Follow-up: She/he will ensure a proper and timely follow-up and regular review of the budget and execution plan and will justify any delays or failures to reach the defined objectives. She/he will also participate in regular meetings of the HR and Comms Departments to ensure alignment with MSF best practices and build synergies and alliances.
- MSF staff: She/he will maintain contact with MSF’s Portuguese staff to have them involved and acting as spokespeople in communication activities and events such as press conferences, presentations, etc.
- Volunteers: she/he will recruit, motivate and accompany volunteers to help MSF running of activities in Portugal, and will establish the level of involvement of each one according to the internal regulations established by MSF on this chapter.
- Administrative activities: she/he will manage the correspondence, courier, e-mails and other incoming documents; will take care of the material resources: office stocks, exhibition materials, IT materials, back-ups and systems, and general logistic issues. She/he will make the monthly budget follow-up and treasury reports to be sent to Finance department timely.
- Associative life: she/he will support activities to boost the associative activities in Portugal, facilitating spaces for debate and discussions as well as any other activities planned by the Board of Directors and the Associative Participation Unit.
Education and experience:
- Qualification in Psychology, Business Administration, Humanities or similar.
- Fluent in Portuguese and English; Spanish is a plus.
- Field experience and knowledge of MSF is essential.
- Knowledge of the Portugal society and market is essential
- Experience as coordinator in the field with MSF or other NGO is a strong asset
- Experience in the conceptualization and implementation of transmedia campaigns and events, as well as in the management and coordination of projects and resources is a strong asset
- Experience in the area of Administration (finance and HR) is an asset.
- Use of IT tools and Web 2.0 software
- Knowledge of the ERP-SAP system is a plus.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Post based in Portugal with travels inside the country and to Barcelona.
- 1-year position with possibility of extension (candidates must meet legal conditions to be immediately hired in Portugal)
- Full-time job, 40 hours per week.
- Annual gross salary: 35.964,18€ (divided in twelve monthly payments) + Secondary Benefits based on MSF- OCBA Reward Policy
- Starting January 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- Applicants should send their CV and covering motivation letter under the reference “COUNTRY REPRESENTATIVE & RECRUITMENT OFFICER” to: email@example.com
- Closing date: 16th of December 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.