Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Communication and Fundraising Departments.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
The MSF OCBA digital unit aims to transform the quality and impact of OCBA’s digital engagement with its audiences – in Spain, and around the world. We work with other departments in MSF to identify ways that digital can help them to achieve their engagement objectives, and then support them in grasping these opportunities.
In the coming years, two key priorities for the Digital Unit are to support the Fundraising Department in increasing the number of supporters who successfully donate to MSF through digital channels, and to support the Human Resources Department in increasing the number of quality job applications they receive through digital channels. The Digital Marketing Officer is a central role for us, defining the actions, channels and content that can reach, engage and successfully convince supporters to donate, or potential job applicants to apply.
You will be a talented and ambitious marketer, blending digital expertise with an analytical mind and very experienced in driving successful digital campaigns. You will use this experience to support the Head of Digital in developing MSF Spain’s digital marketing strategy, identifying growth opportunities for paid digital channels such as social media, paid search, display, native advertising, video, mobile – and emerging channels as they appear. A key goal of the position will be to influence colleagues in the fundraising, communications and human resources teams – building skills, experience and understanding of how digital marketing channels can support their work.
You will have direct experience of setting up and running high-performing digital marketing campaigns from concept to execution – working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders. On a day-to-day basis you will liaise with colleagues to understand their needs across a number of core business functions: donor acquisition, conversion, engagement, reactivation and staff recruitment. You will plan digital marketing campaigns to meet these needs, identifying objectives, KPIs, messages and audiences and coordinating with relevant digital agencies and partners to ensure campaigns are implemented in coherent, effective and properly managed way.
You will bring a strong creative flair, being able to directly create or commission powerful marketing content. This includes writing persuasive copy and selecting appropriate imagery to drive conversions, all within the boundaries of the MSF style guide and our working principles. You will also be an experienced user of marketing automation tools, with a technical understanding that makes you able to pro-actively identify opportunities to continuously drive organizational development through technology. You will bring a user-led ethos, working to understand online audience behavior rather than relying on personal assumptions, always seeking to convince audiences to increase their commitment to MSF.
You will be curious, always carrying out market research, and working in close collaboration with the Digital Insight and Optimization Officer to understand current and potential audiences, their needs and interests, or reviewing MSF marketing or that of other NGOs to learn from what works and what doesn’t. You will use this analysis and other data available to continually optimise and improve digital marketing campaigns with focus on identified KPIs. You will be a highly organized and financially literate person, able to track spending and deliver regular forecasts with a high degree of accuracy and identify opportunities to maximise performance.
The position is hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Digital. The Digital Unit sits between the Communications and Fundraising Departments, but this and other positions in the team additionally work with Human Resources and, on occasion, with our field Operations department or other departments.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Support the Head of Digital in developing a digital marketing strategy to meet the future fundraising and recruitment needs of MSF.
- Work with agency partner and relevant stakeholders to develop and setup marketing strategies on paid digital channels such as social media, paid search, display, native advertising, video, mobile, and other emerging channels as necessary.
- Develop and monitor the digital advertising budget, forecasting digital fundraising program performance with a high degree of accuracy.
- Work with the human resources team to identify appropriate digital marketing channels and techniques to attract high quality applicants eligible to work in Spain and our projects around the world.
- Support MSF missions in the field undertaking digital marketing activities to increase acceptance or use their services.
- Provide direction to colleagues, consultants and partners to ensure in-depth, timely analysis of all digital marketing efforts.
- Work with colleagues to analyse data on our donors and behaviours and to create long-term acquisition campaigns to help grow MSF Spain’s subscriber base.
- Develop and deliver guidance, training and support to colleagues in building their skills, experience and understanding of digital marketing channels and objectives.
Marketing campaign planning
- Plan digital marketing campaigns on paid channels, identifying objectives, KPIs, messages and audiences.
- Supporting core business functions, including donor acquisition, conversion, engagement, reactivation and staff recruitment, in planning, developing and monitoring digital marketing campaigns for paid channels.
- Identify and take advantage of opportunities to leverage content, operational updates and events to help meet digital marketing goals.
- Work in close collaboration with a host of internal and freelance creatives, where you’ll prepare briefs and facilitate a project from perception to end.
- Coordinate advertising deliverables and traffic to agencies, conducting quality assurance checks to ensure that campaigns meet expectations.
Marketing content and journey development
- Develop content for end-to-end user-focused digital marketing journeys – including writing persuasive ad and landing copy, selecting appropriate imagery, writing post-conversion emails or messages as necessary.
- Ensure all digital marketing content on paid channels remains within the boundaries of the MSF style guide and our working principles.
- Create landing pages and forms as necessary for digital marketing campaigns.
- Optimize content and creative strategy in collaboration with media agencies.
- Provide digital marketing support to colleagues developing loyalty journeys for existing donors and leads.
- Build and implement a strong segmentation, personalization, and automation plan, leading audience targeting practices and audience-first thinking to drive recurring revenue and maximize donor retention.
- Act as senior user for digital marketing automation tools, identifying opportunities to use technology to increase conversion and support colleagues in meeting their objectives.
- Work with colleagues to set up appropriate tracking across digital channels to ensure that digital marketing activity can be accurately reported on and that the metrics measured represent digital marketing objectives.
- Monitor campaign performance across a multi-channel digital advertising program with focus on a select set of KPIs to improve acquisition, retention, and engagement, defining corrective measures when necessary to ensure expected results.
- Identify trends and insights and optimize spend and performance based on the insights.
- Work with colleagues to plan, execute, and measure experiments and conversion tests.
- Discover, research, and test new and emerging channels to help drive incremental revenue and new traffic.
- To collaborate with internal teams to optimize user experience across all digital channels.
- Support and participate in content planning processes and maintain the MSF Spain content calendar
- Provide backup to all members of the Digital Unit as appropriate.
- Participate in team meetings, planning processes and other internal processes as required.
- Occasional evening and weekend working is required
- Keep abreast of content trends and industry standards to identify new opportunities to better reach and engage audiences.
- Master’s degree in Marketing or similar or equivalent level of education and/or directly relevant commercial experience
- Substantial experience of developing digital marketing strategies and campaigns in large organisations (charity sector preferred) to acquire new online donors and build awareness. Experience of digital recruitment of staff a plus.
- Substantial experience of managing paid digital marketing media channels, including AdWords, Facebook Ads, DoubleClick, Twitter Ads and others.
- Excellent digital copy writing skills.
- Experience in specialist content editing software, including Adobe Creative Suite.
- The ability to get stuck into the detail, but also offer strategic, long-term thinking.
- A good understanding of customer segmentation and targeting strategies.
- Good experience of working with external agencies to produce campaigns on time and to budget.
- Sound knowledge and experience of responding to customer / client / donor / supporter queries.
- Proven experience working with audience targeting practices and the use of Marketing Cloud, such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud Journey Builder and Automation Studio or equivalent.
- Experience performing in-depth analysis of channel conversion and ROI and making recommendations and implementing strategies for improvement.
- Experience of using content management systems (Drupal beneficial)
- Experience using email automated marketing platforms such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud, SmartFocus.
- A sound understanding of marketing KPIs and an ability to use data to drive decision making
- Ability to handle multiple projects/campaigns, drive for results, and meet tight deadlines.
- An understanding of the current General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Privacy legislation.
- Experience managing vendor relationships and maximizing productivity of vendors and consultants.
- Experience in training other staff
- Ability to organise, prioritise and schedule work within an agreed set of priorities or work programme.
- Able to keep up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in digital tactics and strategies.
- Good command of Spanish and English. Other languages a plus
- Knowledge of current and developing digital fundraising strategies
- Previous experience in the humanitarian sector an advantage
- User focused with a “customer service” ethos
- Excellent editing, writing and storytelling skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strategic thinker, able to develop and communicate vision for the future
- Strong analytical capability and a solid understanding of success metrics. Ability to make decisions based on evidence, analytics and insight
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Team working, including excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to foster and nurture supportive and collaborative relationships
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and proactive
- Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
- Information Seeking and Handling
- Quality and Results orientation
- Strong decision-making skills
- Learner with a keen interest in technical development
- Full time job based in MSF-OCBA headquarters in Barcelona
- Open-ended contract with a minimum three-year commitment with the position
- Annual gross salary: 29,479.13 euros (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits according to MSF OCBA policies.
- Starting date: February 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Digital Marketing Officer" to email@example.com
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 27/01/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.