Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Communication and Fundraising Departments.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
The MSF OCBA digital unit aims to transform the quality and impact of OCBA’s digital engagement with its audiences – in Spain, and around the world. We work with other departments in MSF to identify ways that digital can help them to achieve their engagement objectives, and then support them in grasping these opportunities.
A key goal for the digital team is to foster committed online communities, whether by building a responsive audience-focused social media presence, activating supporters through conversational email and messaging journeys, reaching new communities through digital influencers, or engaging people who attend MSF events in real life. The Digital Supporter Engagement Officer will be a central role for us, leading on all aspects of engagement around digital supporters in Spain.
You will use your broad experience of managing social media channels to support the Head of Digital in developping the social media strategy for MSF Spain – aiming to build strong communities on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others – communities that feel part of MSF and actively participate in building our brand. In building this, you will have a singular focus on our supporters and their experience: adjusting the channels or tools we use, the language we employ, the content we deliver and the way we converse with them to better reflect them and their lives. On a day-to-day basis and in coordination with colleagues in the Digital Unit, you will programme content on social media, ensuring it is engaging, in line with channel strategy, coherent with content released on other channels and supports our priorities. It goes without saying that you will need to be a meticulous planner, with strong writing skills; however you will also need be highly collaborative, staying in constant discussion with colleagues to understand and support their use of social media.
Supporter engagement is not just about talking, of course: it is about listening too. You will be responsible for social listening and monitoring, working with tools to track and respond to conversations our supporters – and others – are having about MSF. You will be friendly, personable, informative and bring a “customer service” ethos to your work. You will work with colleagues to build a framework for how and where we interact with conversations on social media, and then ensure that colleagues understand and use this guide in their work.
You will bring a strong creative streak to your work, always keen to test new ideas or tactics. One area where you will use this trait immediately is in helping MSF Spain to build its first ever influencer outreach programme. We are keen to develop authentic, credible relationships with online influencers, not only to extend our reach and improve our relevance amongst a more diverse range of audiences, but also drive our fundraising into new avenues. Here you will work with colleagues to define a programme, covering how we will identify emerging talent and organise bespoke content opportunities that drive real results.
Last but not least, you will know and understand the concept of supporter journeys and be able to work with different teams to build powerful cross-channel digital journeys – including using email, messaging apps (WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger) and social media. You will have experience of planning and executing segmented email marketing programs, developing email testing plans, and strategies. You will be results-driven, always keen to use data to evaluate actions and identify lessons that can be learned to bring greater impact.
The position is hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Digital. The Digital Unit sits between the Communications and Fundraising Departments, but this and other positions in the team additionally work with Human Resources and, on occasion, with our field Operations department or other departments.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Social media community management
- Support the Head of Digital in developing the social media strategy for MSF Spain, covering channel strategy, audience, language, tone, content strategy and KPIs.
- Develop social media campaigns in support of priority communications, fundraising and HR objectives.
- Oversee core social media schedule for key MSF Spain social media channels (FB, Twitter, IG, Youtube).
- Quality assure all social media content in included in scheduling tools ensuring it is timely, engaging and coherent with content released on other digital and offline channels.
- Liaise with colleagues to obtain all necessary assets including image and creative for content posting.
- Provide support for content used in paid social media campaigns.
- Providing training and guidance for colleagues on producing and posting content on social media channels.
- Evaluate content performance against KPIs, proposing corrective actions when necessary to meet expected results.
Audience monitoring and engagement
- Monitor public comments on social networks and respond to questions, concerns, comments and inquiries.
- Work with colleagues to manage supporter inboxes – Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Manage community discussions ensuring that posts and content are not violating any laws or inappropriate.
- Develop and maintain guides on tone and style for supporter engagement through social media.
- Setup tracking and alerts around live issues or emergencies on monitoring tools (TalkWalker).
- Develop message frameworks and guides to be used in responding to difficult or politically sensitive issues.
- Providing training and guidance for colleagues on engaging with supporters online.
- Support the Head of Digital in developing a Digital Influencer strategy, identifying who to engage with and when, in line with relevant and appropriate organisational themes.
- Create authentic and impactful connections with relevant influencers to engage, inspire and attract a more diverse range of online communities– and create a suitable journey for influencers to retain their support.
- Collaborate with influencers on content planning.
- Report on digital influencer success and impact, reviewing reach, engagement and conversion.
- Foster and develop digital partnerships with influential external agencies and civil society organisations.
- Develop criteria for reviewing and monitoring influencers’ activity and preparing strategies in light of any negative backlash or scandal.
Supporter journey development
- Participate in the planning, coordination, segmentation, targeting, set-up, testing, broadcasting, reporting and optimising of digital supporter journeys through email, messaging apps (including chatbots) or other channels.
- Support the development and lay out/implementation of emails and messenger journeys. Liaise with the copy and design teams to brief the required assets and assure they are delivered on time.
- Ensure digital supporter journeys are aligned to brand guidelines in terms of creative and tone of voice.
- Champion continuous advancement of our digital journey development capabilities through better data collection and usage, dynamic content, segmentation, personalization, testing or other changes.
- Conduct competitor analysis to help drive new campaign ideas.
- Act as a Senior User of Salesforce Marketing Cloud, working with Product Referents to identify how the tool can be used to improve digital supporter journeys.
- Support and participate in content planning processes and maintain the MSF Spain content calendar.
- Provide backup to all members of the Digital Unit as appropriate, including supporting marketing, communication, content development, insight and optimisation work.
- Participate in team meetings, planning processes and other internal processes as required.
- Occasional evening and weekend working is required
- Keep abreast of content trends and industry standards to identify new opportunities to better reach and engage audiences.
- Master’s degree in Marketing or similar or equivalent level of education and/or directly relevant commercial experience
- Substantial experience of managing social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube for large consumer-focused organisations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with a particular focus on engaging copy.
- Sound knowledge and experience of responding to customer / client / donor / supporter queries.
- Experience in using and developing supporter journeys through messaging apps (Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp etc.) is desirable.
- Solid knowledge of email and social media analytics tools to benchmark communications activity.
- Experience of developing email marketing programmes and writing, developing and laying out emails.
- Experience using email automated marketing platforms such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud, SmartFocus.
- Experience of influencer marketing and working with third party brands is desirable.
- A good understanding of customer segmentation and targeting strategies.
- Ability to handle multiple projects/campaigns, drive for results, and meet tight deadlines.
- An understanding of the current General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Privacy legislation.
- The ability to get stuck into the detail, but also offer strategic, long-term thinking.
- Relevant experience in coordinating, targeting, set-up, testing, broadcasting, reporting and optimization of push notification campaigns.
- Experience in training other staff
- Knowledge of basic HTML and CSS, plus the ability to learn new technical skills quickly.
- Experience in specialist content editing software, including Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and schedule work within an agreed set of priorities or work programme.
- Able to keep up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in digital tactics and strategies.
- Good command of Spanish and English. Other languages a plus
- Knowledge of current and developing digital fundraising strategies an advantage
- Previous experience in the humanitarian sector an advantage
- User focused with a “customer service” ethos
- Excellent editing, writing and storytelling skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strategic thinker, able to develop and communicate vision for the future
- Strong analytical capability and a solid understanding of success metrics. Ability to make decisions based on evidence, analytics and insight
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Team working, including excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to foster and nurture supportive and collaborative relationships
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and proactive
- Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
- Information Seeking and Handling
- Quality and Results orientation
- Strong decision-making skills
- Learner with a keen interest in technical development
- Full time job based in MSF-OCBA headquarters in Barcelona
- Open-ended contract with a minimum three-year commitment with the position
- Annual gross salary: 29,479.13 euros (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits according to MSF OCBA policies.
- Starting date: February 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Digital Officer" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 27/01/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.