Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the HR Department.
The Learning Unit is integrated in the Human Resources Department, and works closely with all MSF-OCBA departments with the objective of providing adequate learning solutions to the diverse needs of the missions, teams and individuals across the organization. The learning needs addressed range from induction to managerial to technical issues, including many medical, logistics, human resources aspects that are central to the success of the operations.
The Learning Unit is in charge of providing advice to the organisation, generating new learning solutions, and coordinating the most formal part of the learning offer. The Learning Unit is structured around 3 main activity areas (face-to-face trainings, e-learnings and field support) and composed by two administrative staff, five Learning Officers, two Learning Managers and one Head of Unit. In complement to this, three Learning Referents are located in the Operations, Medical and Logistical Departments in order to provide dedicated support.
A growing proportion of the MSF-OCBA learning offer is available through the online platform MSF eCampus, which serves several sections of the MSF international movement. The overall budget of the formal trainings within MSF-OCBA is close to 1,5 M€, with more than 1500 students per year.
MSF eCampus Context
MSF eCampus is the dedicated online platform and team that provides online learning services to MSF-OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona), MSF-OCG (Geneva) and MSF-OCP (Paris), and it was initially set-up in 2009. The main components of this service are:
- Management of Learning Projects, consisting in the analysis and development of new learning solutions adapted to the needs of MSF projects and staff. These projects are internal consultancies, involving all the necessary steps of the learning cycle, including needs analysis, solutions design, development, implementation and evaluation. The size and diversity of projects engaged is quite diverse, ranging from webinars to videos to standard online courses to complex online simulations. To manage these projects, a diverse set of processes, methodologies and tools are applied (such as Activity Theory Analysis, Design Thinking, Authoring Tools, etc.) This area also implies regular contact and negotiation with numerous internal and external clients, partners and providers (some of the projects being subcontracted to external providers.)
- Service Management Actions. We are currently providing service to some 4000 users from the three MSF Operational Centres (Barcelona, Geneva and Paris), the majority of which accessing from any of the 40 countries where MSF is running operations (available languages are English, French and Spanish). This requires a constant work of providing access to learners, maintaining the infrastructure, solving incidents and issues, regular improving of processes, etc.
The MSF-OCBA eCampus Learning Manager is hierarchically responsible for the two Learning Officers, and works in close relation with the two the Projects & IT team‘s Technicians and their Manager, who are the internal service providers to the eCampus’ infrastructure and application maintenance.
Two years ago an innovative project was launched at MSF-OCBA, called TEMBO, consisting on a Personal Learning and Development Environment (PLDE) platform, based on the same online technology as the eCampus (Moodle, Totara). This project is completely independent. TEMBO is now in its initial field deployment phase, and we are currently expecting the future integration between TEMBO and eCampus sometime on the last quarter of 2019. During this integration, the eCampus platform will migrate to TEMBO platform (users, portfolio of eLearning solutions), and the eCampus team will become the new managers of TEMBO platform. The TEMBO team will continue independently with the development of new innovative features and functionalities, and to complete the field deployment (this throughout 2019 and 2020).
The MSF-OCBA eCampus Learning Manager, working under the supervisor of the Head of the Learning Unit, is responsible for the management of the MSF-OCBA eCampus services, including the three main areas mentioned above (learning projects, learning system and service actions), and the coordination of the team under her/his responsibility, always looking at providing best quality services that meet MSF-OCBA learning needs.
The main responsibilities also include being responsible for the overall management of the MSF-OCBA eCampus (strategy orientations, innovation and investment, projects and resources management, annual planning and budgeting), the relationship with clients and partners (needs and requirement, dedicated projects, degrees of involvement) and participating in the overall management of the Learning Unit (together with the Head of the Learning Unit and the Face-to-Face Learning Manager).
She/he will also be responsible for the successful migration of eCampus (platform, users, learning services and managing team) into TEMBO platform, in close collaboration with the TEMBO team.
Finally, the MSF-OCBA eCampus Learning Manager will have a role of senior technical and pedagogical expert towards the team and the organisation when facing learning requests. These may include performance analysis and the generation of comprehensive learning strategies. The advisory role may include direct support to Departments and Field projects, and may exceptionally require displacement to countries where MSF-OCBA has projects.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Coordinates MSF eCampus service team and activities
- Supports and facilitates TEMBO and eCampus integration process
- Incorporates new learning approaches from TEMBO project
- Participates in the redefinition of eCampus and TEMBO teams
- Manages the project portfolio, including coordination with all the project managers
- Ensures methodology and tools are appropriately tailored to the project
- Defines along with team best instructional design process to implement
- Defines learning material diffusion/sharing strategy with learning material owners
- Ensures that project deliverables are provided on-time
- Incorporates risk management into the services and projects
- Ensures respect of budget and planning
- Ensures quality standard in overall MSF eCampus actions
- Develops policies, procedures, measure and metrics
- Co-directs timely issue resolution and appropriate issue escalation
- Ensures issue/incident management
- Ensures the availability of data and reports
- Ensures that best practices in MSF sections are incorporated in the eCampus practice
- Collaborates with the rest of the Learning Unit
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Educational Psychology, Pedagogy, Educational or Learning Sciences, Informatics IT, Information systems Management or e-learning related fields.
- Extensive experience (+ 5 years) in this area of Learning at workplace competences may be accepted in lieu of Advanced Degree
- Proven working experience as project manager in Technology and / or E-Learning sector
- Experience in E-Learning Operations, LMS, Learning Architecture,
- Experience in the development and management of a budget and in the effective management of expense allocations
- Experience in managing technology providers, including partnerships negotiations, monitoring service delivery and addressing vendor performance issues
- Technical understanding or hands-on experience in learning environment development, MOOC´s and keeping up-to-date with current eLearning trends
- Experience in Agile Methodologies, Design Thinking and user-centered approaches
- Experience in working for a diverse, non-technical, and geographically spread organization
- English as working language, French and Spanish desirable
- Good command of Moodle, Totara/Mahara, Microsoft Office and/or Open Office, Microsoft Project
- Desirable knowledge of best practices frameworks and standard design methodologies: SCRUM, Agile, Design Thinking, etc.
- E - learning Instructional Design Project Management and Rapid Authoring Tools
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- An understanding of the principles and practice of user-centered design/product development
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- People Management and Development
- Networking and Building Relationships
- Position based in Barcelona at MSF-OCBA Headquarters
- Full-time or part-time job (according to availability) – We want to open this vacancy to professionals established in the sector that want to keep their own portfolio of clients
- Annual gross salary (based on a full time job): € 36,985.94 (divided into twelve monthly payments) + Secondary benefits based on MSF-OCBA Reward Policy
- Starting date: 1st September 2019
- Ending date: 1st March 2020
- Duration of contract: 6 months
How to Apply
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “eCampus Learning Manager (Interim)” to email@example.com
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
Closing date: June 24th, 2019
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
MSF OCBA is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we are committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.