JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Hierarchically accountable to the Head of the Emergency Unit (REUE) and/or its deputy, and functionally under the Operational Cell-based Medical Responsible (TESAUE). (S) he is part of a team composed of around 20 people of MSF OCBA “Emergency Team”, or emergency pool.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
To reinforce quality on MSF-OCBA emergency interventions by:
- Providing epidemiological technical support to emergencies.
- Supporting emergency medical teams in collecting and analysing health-related data.
- Supporting emergency medical teams in providing epidemiological training to national and expatriate staff.
- Supporting the implementation of the Health Information System (HIS) and other data collection initiatives in emergency interventions (and if needed to modify HIS according to the needs of the intervention).
- Conduct rapid epidemiological health assessments on request.
- Implement and adapt the MSF-OCBA Health Information System for emergency interventions.
- Analyse the data together with the medical team to orient emergency interventions being implemented.
- Conduct epidemiological follow-up with regards to epidemics and implementing specific monitoring systems and databases for diseases with outbreak potential.
- Participate in the creation of technical documents, working tools, related to relevant issues of interest for the EU.
- After the emergency to analyse the epidemiological data for the purpose of internal and donor reports, and advocacy (if needed).
- If deemed necessary by the EU, to participate in any evaluations post-emergency.
- Collaborate with the OCBA/Epicentre epidemiologist in Barcelona on epidemiological issues
Education and experience
- Epidemiologist, preferably with specific training in Epidemiology and Public Health.
- Knowledge of and interest in Public Health and infectious diseases.
- Experience in field epidemiology contexts of acute epidemics (meningitis, cholera, measles…) desirable.
- One-year MSF experience or a similar organisation.
- Basic knowledge of standards in terms of health in MSF projects, including emergencies and epidemics.
- Good knowledge and experience with regards to IT software for processing texts, graphics and statistics.
- Able to work in teams and under stressful conditions.
- Fluent English a must. French and Spanish both desirable.
Capacity and skills
- Good communication skills.
- Good English writing capacity.
- Analysis and synthesis capacity.
- Availability to travel frequently & be based overseas
- Availability to work in unstable contexts
- Based in the field during interventions.
- Emergency Unit Pool conditions & benefits.
- Commitment: minimum 1 year.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference "Epidemiologist Emergency Pool" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: 20th of March, 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates