Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical humanitarian action-driven organisation, providing aid to populations in need, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to the people affected by armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Logistics Department.
Emergency responses fall under the responsibility of the Operations Department, specifically the Emergency Unit (EU).
The operational plan is channeling most of its energies and capacities to-wards providing lifesaving and comprehensive care for victims of acute and protracted conflict and violence, emphasizing high quality interventions and the safety and dignity of patients. In doing so, OCBA will have Emergency response to acute needs at the forefront of our organizational priorities and culture, in a range of 20 to 30% of our operational volume.
We will continue improving timely and appropriate emergency response in conflicts, to outbreaks and to acute nutritional crises.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Hierarchically accountable to the Head of the Emergency Unit (REUE) and/or its deputy, and functionally under the Operational Cell-based Logistics Responsible (TELOUE), (S) he is part of a team composed of around 20 people of MSF OCBA “Emergency Team”, or emergency pool. A typical intervention is composed of a General Emergency coordinator, emergency medical/logistic/financial coordinators and medical/logistic/financial technicians. (S) He will be responsible to support and manage all activities developed by the logistical teams working for MSF OCBA in the field, ensuring a suitable response. Exceptionally and if timely adequate, (S) he will also be in charge of launching regular activities and/or projects in countries where MSF OCBA is not present.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASK
- To ensure an smooth operational logistics set up, following up and eventually closing of emergency missions for OCBA
- To guarantee the respect of the general humanitarian policy of OCBA
- To ensure the highest possible quality standard of the intervention in accordance to the medical, logistic, financial, human resource and communication policies of OCBA
- To propose logistical deployment plan for the intervention within the scope of the organisation’s capacity
- To support the Emergency Coordinator (HoM) in the elaboration and implementation of the security guidelines in the country of intervention
- To guarantee appropriate living conditions are implemented to ensure the physical and mental well being of the emergency team
- To guarantee the capitalisation of the logistical field experience
- To contribute to develop the expertise of OCBA.
- To conduct support activities at HQ level when required
- Preparedness & conduction of exploratory missions for MSF OCBA
- Plan & implement logistics technical activities in the emergency intervention
- To back up the HoM if needed
- Report in regular basis to Emergency General coordinator & TELOUE in the progress and constraints on the logistical operations.
- Responsible for the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, and internal communication)
- Responsible for ensuring technical reference and support for all logistics/technical issues in the mission,
- Responsible for ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities in an adequate living condition as well as all the equipment required
- Responsible for ensuring the proper use and maintenance of IT (computers, software, backups, etc.) and communication tools as well as the communication means in the Mission
- Responsible for defining and monitoring the technical aspects of the risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the mission security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, monitoring on a daily basis the security rules observation and reporting to the HoM of any problem. For this purpose, the Logistics Coordinator will have to create an appropriate environment to facilitate exchange of information on security situation and will be the security back up in the absence of the HoM
Education, experience and competences
- MSF experience of minimum 18 months or 4 missions and preferably in emergencies and/or insecure context. Alternatively, experience in similar other organisations will be considered.
- Experience in managing logistic teams
- Fluent (master them as working language) in two of the three following languages: Spanish, English and/or French. Other languages are an asset.
- Good knowledge in the main logistical families (WH&S, Vector Control, Cold Chain, Telecommunications, Relief distributions, Shelter, Air ops, Supply, etc )
- Having followed coordination & technical courses (LMC/BMC/WEDEC/TLC/PSP) will be considered a plus.
- Quality and Results orientation
- Internal User and/or End Beneficiary orientation
- Leadership and ability to train and manage staff.
- Analytical skill and strategic vision.
- Demonstrated communication, reporting and organizational skills.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and national staff.
- Based in the field during interventions. Based at home during stand-by periods
- Salary defined by the MSF-Spain salary grid (pool UE conditions, IRP2)
- Commitment: minimum 1 year.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Log Coordinator" to email@example.com
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 27/01/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.