Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 24 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department and Projects & IT.
CONTEXT OF POST
MSFeCARE is an electronic clinical decision support system that aims at improving the management of acute illnesses for children aged 2 months to 5 years in primary care facilities by health workers with limited but sufficient medical training (clinical officer, nurses).
MSFeCARE addresses the most frequent diseases encountered in this age group and provides guidance to the clinicians according to the child’s clinical presentation – a syndromic approach.
MSFeCARE guides clinicians’ step by step through the consultation process up to a classification and treatment recommendations. All recommendations are based on MSF and international experts’ guidelines. MSFeCARE clinical algorithm was developed both as paper booklet and as an application for Android tablets.
As of December 2018, MSFeCARE has been deployed in 5 countries, supporting more than 80 000 consultations.
The project is currently scaling-up with planned deployments in various Sub-Saharan Countries, within MSF OCBA projects as well as other directorates.
To support this growth, MSF OCBA is recruiting a MSFeCARE Field Implementer. The MSFeCARE Field Implementer will be in charge of deployment and support of MSFeCARE in various projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. He/she will play an active role in contributing to support materials and tools for the success of his missions and may conduct evaluations and reinforcements for ongoing projects.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATIONAL CHART
The MSFeCARE Field Implementer will be accountable hierarchically to OCBA head of Apps4Ops although s/he will be part and managed within MSFeCARE project team.
S/he will also have strong functional links with:
- OCBA Paediatric Medical Referent as Medical Referent
- MSFeCARE Application Referent who will act as a Technical Referent
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
The MSFeCARE Field Implementer will be regularly detached to MSF field teams for MSFeCARE deployment and support missions:
- He/she will consolidate the details of the intervention implementation and evaluation procedures and tools together with the field team
- He/she will organize meetings with the field team in order to brief on the rationale, objectives and methods of the intervention
- He/she will train the coordination team on the intervention procedures, and especially the use of monitoring data and reports
- He/she will train the MSF and/or MoH primary care supervisors on the intervention procedures, the use of the MSFeCARE algorithm, the supervision visits, and the monitoring and reporting tools
- He/she will train the consulting nurses on the rationale, objective and use of MSFeCARE in close collaboration with the team in the field
- He/she will supervise the implementation, the completeness and the timeliness of the supervision visit and reporting
- He/she may supervise MSFeCARE related consultation procedures during visits to the health facilities for continuous improvement of its implementations
- He/she will document and report on his missions
- He/she will play an active role in improving MSFeCARE implementation documentations and tools
- He/she will remotely assist active projects on an adhoc basis
- He/she will participate on an adhoc basis to testing and validation of new MSFeCARE algorithms before their field deployments
Education and experience
- Medical Degree
- Ideally, MSF field experience and recent involvement in paediatric clinical practice. Knowledge of MSF operational work and policies
- Excellent communication skills and fluent command of French and English, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in epidemiology, public health and/or qualitative surveys will be considered as an added value
- Ability and willingness to travel (50%-80%)
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in Dakar at the MSF OCBA office with regular travels to MSF missions in Sub-Saharan Africa and occasionally to Barcelona or Geneva.
- Full-time job
- Contract initially until the end of 2019 with possible extension
- Annually gross salary (based on 40 hours weekly): €26,981.28 (divided in 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
- Practical working conditions (also during field visits) as per the MSF-OCBA guideline
- Starting date: as soon as possible
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “MIO eCARE Field Implementer” to email@example.com
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 31/1/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.