Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian action-driven organization which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. 21 sections and 3 branch offices make-up the international movement and work in partnership around 5 operational centres.
The Spanish section of MSF was founded in 1986 in Barcelona. MSF-Spain has various Regional Offices (Delegations) in the rest of Spain and a Branch Office in Argentina.
In 2005 an operational partnership was established between MSF-Spain and MSF-Greece. Today the Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens (OCBA) has 5 Operational cells (3 in Barcelona, 1 in Nairobi and 1 in Amman), and an Emergency Unit based in Barcelona. More recently, OCBA has created the OCBA Network, consciously evolving towards a network configuration with a growing number of MSF partners with the ambition of including relevant partners from beyond the MSF movement.
Another significant part of this evolution has been the development of offices in Nairobi, Amman and Dakar.
The HR Department is currently made up of several Units (Profile Management & Recruitment, Learning, Human Resources Management, Staff Health, Psycho-Social, Administration & Labour Relations) and its mission is to build the short and long-term human capacity needed to fulfil the MSF mission, while undertaking that people in MSF embody the organization’s values and principles and guaranteeing compliance to legal obligations.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The successful candidate will work closely with the HR Director and be his natural back-up and at the same time will be part of the HR Heads of Service Platform, which has a substantial coordination role within the HR Department.
The position of Deputy HR Director is a new position and is key in order for MSF OCBA HR Department to be able to respond to its strategic ambitions and to fulfill its role in making the OCBA Strategic Plan a reality.
To do so, the DDHR will:
- Develop and strengthen HQ-related HR strategies and activities with a key focus on management and development and in strict coordination with the General Direction and the different departments
- Support and guide HR functions within the OCBA Network Units (Nairobi, Amman, Dakar) in line with their evolution
- Streamline and enhance strategies related to people support at all level with a specific focus on Duty of Care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define and implement strategies aiming at improving HQ management in Spain, including leading reflection on remuneration together with Comp & Ben Referent and on performance management with HRM team.
- Define and implement strategies aiming at improving work atmosphere and output at HQ level, while being central in preventing and managing conflictive situations
- In coordination key functions within the HR Department and specifically guiding the Staff Health and Risk Prevention Referent, guarantee that tools and strategies to minimize labour-related risks within Headquarters are applied.
- Revision and implementation of policies directly affecting HQ staff (mobility, induction, rotation etc.)
- Support departments in the definition and implementation of actions related with learning &development, career and succession planning for key positions
- Direct management and definition of priorities for Rehuse function (HQ technician)
- Functional management and guidance of Fundraising Face 2 Face HR Coordinator within Fundraising Department
- Support and guidance to people in charge of HR functions in OCBA Network Units (Nairobi, Amman, Dakar) with the objective of making sure that Network Units have – at different levels – the means and the capacity to autonomously manage HR issues while guaranteeing coherence with overall MSF OCBA policies and practices.
- Act as focal point within Barcelona HQ for Network Units as far as structure, management and internal policies in coordination with Administration & Labour Relations, Comp & Ben referent.
- Lead the timely revision of the Frame for OCBA Network Units taking into account the evolution of the units themselves.
- Support Network Units in the definition of mid and long term strategies related with the development of key added-value activities for OCBA and the movement where relevant
People Support and Duty of Care
- Responsible to develop, communicate and adapt MSF OCBA strategies as far as Duty of Care is concerned
- Guarantee coherence between Psycho-Social Unit and Health Staff Referent vision, strategies and activities
- Guarantee OCBA presence in MSF International platforms and discussions related with Duty of Care
- In coordination with Operations Department and with different actors within the HR Department, definition and implementation of strategies aiming at improving the preparation and support to all staff working in highly insecure contexts.
- Back-up of HR Director as needed
- Interaction with Behaviour Committee and input in improving MSF OCBA policies related with Behaviour, Management of Diversity, Discrimination, Inclusiveness etc.
- Interaction with Partner Sections and other OCs as far as his/her areas of focus are concerned
- Reports to: HR Director
- Staff reporting to this post: Head of Psycho-Social Unit, Staff Health Referent, Rehuse (HQ Technician)
- Other key working relationships: All HR Units, Directors and Middle Managers of Departments, Head of HR of Network Units
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate Degree at minimum required, with Graduate studies or equivalent experience in topics related to MSF’s work and context highly valued
- Senior NGO leadership experience essential with proven ability to inspire, motivate, and manage people
- Experience in the humanitarian field of work essential,
- MSF experience highly desirable
- Direct experience in HR management is highly desired
SKILLS and VALUES
- Full adherence and commitment to the principles and goals of MSF
- Strong leadership and decision-making capacity
- Strong people-management skills
- Strategic vision and analytical thinking
- Orientation to service and results
- Excellent prioritization and time-management skills with the ability to deliver in a dynamic environment with multiple competing deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Spanish is essential; fluency in written and spoken French an asset
- Knowledge of the Spanish Labour law and of International NGOs HR management strategies will be valued as strong assets.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and CONDITIONS:
- Location: based in Barcelona, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Headquarters
- It is a full-time job. Work is generally carried out during the day, Monday to Friday but sometimes it is necessary to work evenings, weekends or holidays
- Domestic travel: 10%
- International travel: 10% including to MSF Network Units, missions and projects, sometimes in unstable contexts
- Minimum of 3-year moral commitment.
- Starting date: February, 2017
- Annual gross salary and secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Deputy HR Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Closing date: January 20th, 2017
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.