PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The General Director (GD) is responsible for carrying out the necessary activities to develop and achieve the goals of MSF OCBA and the MSF-Spain Association as delegated by the General Assemblies and the Boards of Directors.
The GD is therefore responsible to the highest level for the management, the operations, institutional representation and coordination with and as part of the MSF International movement.
The GD acts as a champion to guarantee an optimal development of the operational partnership at all levels and coordinates the actions undertaken with the rest of the managerial team thus bestowing coherence upon the organisation.
The directors of the MSF OCBA departments are accountable to the GD, who may delegate to the members of the management team some of his/her tasks.
The GD is responsible for operationalizing the OCBA Strategic Plan, proposing mid-term strategies to ensure that the MSF OCBA evolves according to operational needs and the social mission, to contribute to the build-up of the MSF international movement and to guarantee that the frameworks agreed by the General Assemblies and the Boards of Directors are duly complied with.
Therefore, the GD is accountable to the Boards of Directors and has direct and permanent relation with the President. Together they are the main representatives of MSF-OCBA at national and an international level, bearing in mind the ultimate responsibility of the latter in all matters affecting the social mission of MSF as mandated by the General Assemblies.
- Design, propose and execute the Strategic and Executive Plan, together with the Management Team and within the framework given by the Boards of Directors (AGORA/MSF-Spain).
- Lead and oversee the annual Activity Plan and the associated Budget and Resource Plan and assure sound review and reporting on the compliance, achievements, shortcomings and propose adjustments as necessary.
- Lead and coach the Management Team and other management platforms.
- Lead and coordinate the OCBA Executive platform (GD Forum) to maximise the network collaborations and potential.
- Lead and coach the other positions directly reporting to the DG (DG Buenos Aires, DG Nairobi, Centre for Applied Reflection Humanitarian Practice and the General Directorate at large)
- Challenge and offer guidance to the Director of Operations as the cornerstone and main responsible for the operations. Analysing the evolution of the operational portfolio and contributing in the definition of overall policies.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a coherent and appropriate operational structure, functions and processes within the entire organisation thus ensuring an efficient, effective and human working atmosphere.
- Oversee and bear legal responsibility for all legal and financial agreements, including contracts and dismissals of staff. He/she is also ultimately legal responsible of MSF Spain (together with MSF Spain President).
- Promote and protect a management culture based on inclusiveness and openness, taking care of people and the institution against abuse and discrimination.
- Promote and ensure an effective and participative internal communication.
- Represent OCBA in the MSF international executive governance platforms (EXCOM), participating in developing and designing common strategies, serving the strengthening of the MSF International Movement and the implementation of the social mission.
- Represent MSF and networking with national and international governmental, public and private institutions, organisations and fora.
- Guarantee the coherence of the image, reputation and positioning of MSF, in close coordination with the President and the relevant international platforms.
- Encourage and actively contribute to the reflection and critical analysis about medical and humanitarian contexts, stakes, practices and the role and identity of MSF.
- Report to the Board of Directors (Agora/MSF Spain) about all relevant issues, challenges and developments in the operations, in the operational partnership and the MSF International Movement.
- The DG reports to President and Board of Directors (Agora/MSF Spain)
- Staff reporting to the DG: Directors of the departments of Operations, Medical, Logistics & Supply, Finances, Human Resources, Communications & Public Awareness, Fundraising. . (They are part of the Management Team). Other positions reporting to the DG are: the Deputy General Directors, the Head of Projects and IT, the Executive Senior Assistant, the Responsible for External and Institutional Relationships, the Head of Centre for Applied Reflection Humanitarian Practice, the Legal Advisor and the Information and Documentation Centre.
- Other key working relationships: The DG is member of the Core EXCOM which reports to the International Board.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10 years’ experience in the humanitarian field of work.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant management positions.
- Higher academic degree.
- Fluent English. Spanish is highly valued, as well as French and Arabic.
- Security management background as well as other risks management is an asset.
- Training and experience in complex organisational management, including in human resources, assets and financial management is highly valued.
- Relevant operational MSF experience is a strong asset.
SKILLS & VALUES:
The position requires:
- Full adherence and commitment to the principles, values and goals of MSF.
- Strong adherence to the medical and associative nature of MSF.
- Strong leadership and decision-making capacity
- Strategic vision, analytical thinking, appetite and openness for innovation.
- Strong people-management skills
- Orientation to results
- Ability to deal with complex environments and to lead teams under pressure
- Excellent diplomacy, public relations skills, negotiation and networking abilities are essential attributes.
- Ability to effectively organize and communicate in multicultural environments and teams.
CONDITIONS & DEMANDS:
- Location: based in Barcelona, Spain at the Médecins Sans Frontières Headquarters.
- Full availability to travel at any time to any part of the world.
- Minimum of 3-year moral commitment, with a maximum term of 6 years.
- Annual gross salary and secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: May 2018 (with a certain flexibility).
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “DG MSF OCBA” to OCBADG.Selection@barcelona.msf.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 31st of January 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.