JOB CONTEXT AND GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The Head of Mission is responsible for MSF operational response in the Country/Mission. He/she defines the mission operational strategy in collaboration with the Operational cell. Leads plans and coordinates MSF programs in the mission, including identification of new humanitarian challenges. Represents and defends MSF’s interests before third parties, according to the organization’s charter, policies, and ethics as well as international and national laws and regulations, in order to develop and effectively implement all the programmes and projects in the mission.
Central African Republic mission is one of the biggest missions among OCBA portfolio. OCBA runs 3 regular projects (in Batangafo, in Kabo and in Bangui) and one emergency response team (Eureca), based in Bangui. All interventions are oriented in responding to the medical and humanitarian needs of a population affected by the chronic conflict in the country.
- Is responsible for representing MSF at national level and defending its interests before local authorities, other NGO’s or international institutions, local donors, military organizations, other MSF sections, other humanitarian organizations and media, to guarantee an active positioning and a good public image.
- Is responsible for negotiating/facilitating collaborations and agreements between MSF and local authorities, donors and institutions.
- Is responsible for developing and integrating an internal and external communication policy for the mission, performing external communication actions to media when required.
- Is responsible for monitoring the political, humanitarian and health situation of the country.
- Is responsible for monitoring and analysing the political, humanitarian issues at stake, and health situation across the country and surrounding countries through established contacts with key persons/institutions and carrying out exploratory missions in order to identify potential fields of intervention.
- Is accountable for properly studying data collected from the field, detecting population’s needs.
- Is responsible for analysing the context (and the consequences of an intervention of MSF) , evaluating risks and constraints, and setting priorities.
- Is responsible for drawing-up project proposals and provide response to emergencies taking into account the points above and submitting them to Headquarters for approval.
- Is responsible to produce, together with teams in the projects, and submit all requested operational reports, and ensures keeping them properly filed and updated.
- Is responsible to conduct an active and permanent follow up of potential emergencies in the Country/Mission.
- Is accountable and supervise the implementation of projects and programs and evaluate their evolution, final results and achievements to ensure that organization’s technical and ethical standards are followed and objectives are achieved.
- Is responsible for leading, briefing/debriefing, providing coaching, evaluating, identifying training needs and supporting the coordination team and project coordinators.
- Is accountable for the progress made and submits reorientation strategies to Headquarters when necessary.
- Is accountable for ensuring a proper control of financial indicators and mission budget.
- Is responsible for ensuring coordination of actions with other MSF sections in the mission-country/region.
- Is accountable for the proper plan, size, and coordination of all resources (human, material and financial) needed in the mission in order to enhance overall performance of the mission and the projects carried out.
- Is accountable for a proper implementation of HR management policies by HRCo and cell based HR referent, according to vision, policies and values.
- Is responsible for the coordination of the Mission Coordination Team (MCT)
- Is accountable to ensure that all technical responsible within the CMT grant a proper organization of needs, working schedules and decision making processes.
- Is accountable to ensure that HRCo grants the well being of teams (appropriate living conditions, good general health status, stress levels, conditions, etc.) and ensures appropriate conducts and behaviors.
- Is accountable for ensuring that FinCo coordinates an active search of local funds while controlling expenditures, budgeting and purchases.
- Is accountable for supervising a rational use of means and resources to carry out projects and programs.
- Is responsible to ensure information flow and reporting to Headquarters.
- Is responsible to define and ensure implementation of mission’s security policies and protocols, aligned to global MSF policy, to ensure safety of staff across the mission. In this sense, the Head of Mission has the ultimate responsibility of all security aspects of the mission.
- Is responsible for analysing external risks and threats to staff security.
- Is responsible for keeping staff and headquarters informed and updated of events and issues related to this matter.
- Is accountable for ensuring involvement, motivation and monitoring of staff on security practices.
Education and experience
- At least 12 months experience as Head of Mission in MSF. Experience in complex missions is an asset.
- At least 24 months experience in coordination positions in humanitarian aid including contexts of complex security management.
- French language essential. English desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in Bangui, CAR. Travel through the country according to operational needs.
- Commitment of 2 years
- Level: : 15 of the IRFFG + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
- Starting: Beginning of March 2018
THIS POSITION IS INITIALLY OPEN AS A TANDEM:
The coverage of the HoM for CAR can be fulfilled through a tandem of two chosen candidates who will alternatively cover the position (4 months in & 4 months out).
The Tandem Package has two complementary objectives:
- Provide stability to key coordination positions in complex missions with high risk of gap.
- Retain in the organization senior profiles still prone to working at field level but available for short assignments
The CAR HoM position, being open as a tandem, implies the conditions detailed below:
- Bilateral moral commitment for two years from the organisation to keep the rotation of the same two candidates to cover the positions (if the performance is adequate) and from the candidates to support the coverage of the position during the two years of commitment
- The position is covered with two different people being assigned 4 months IN the position & 4 months OUT of the position alternatively during the next 2 years
- When IN à Assignment to the CAR HoM position with 4 months full time contract as HoM
- When OUT à Part time contract as HoM during the 4 months in standby to be trained and become member of the pool of mentors in OCBA (generally virtual mentoring but other options can be considered)
In case some candidate is not interested in the tandem but in the full position (minimum 12 months engagement), please, do specify it in the application letter: “Full time position (normal assignment)”, or “open to the 2 possibilities” in case you are interested in both options.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference "HoM CAR" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: 11th of January 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates