PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The IPC & Nursing -MIO is hierarchically accountable to the Head of Operational Medical Unit. S/he is functionally linked to the Nursing Referent and related to learning activities will be supported by the Medical Learning referent, and with previous discussion with the correspondent TESACO when implementing plans for /in specific missions.
S/he works closely with the correspondent Operational Cell-based Health Advisor (TESACO) when implementing work for /in specific missions.
While in a mission, he/she works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, in close cooperation with her/his colleagues in the field from Hospital Management, the Watsan, Biomedical Referent, etc.
CONTEXT OF THE POST
In line with MSF-OCBA Executive Plan, Operational priorities, and with the Medical Department Plan, the quality of the medical care remains a challenge in terms of field implementation and follow-up. In this frame, infection prevention measures (IPC) have taken an essential role. Besides, during 2017, several requests have been raised from different missions requesting to strengthen learning activities for nurses.
MIO IPC position has been opened for more than 4 years aiming to endorse several gaps related to IPC, some of them linked with nursing overall learning needs. Health staff represents today around the 50% of all MSF positions (both for National and Expatriates), and Nurses are the biggest group. The increase of national staff nursing skills has been identified among the major challenges due to several reasons, among them: limited experience/guidance on how to conduct learning needs assessment of nurses and develop effective trainings, and the standardize of contents related to IPC and Nursing activities.
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The main objectives of this position are
- to support the implementation of MSF infection control protocols in the MSF-OCBA projects, focusing on the reduction of Nosocomial Infection transmission inside the care structures.
- to support field teams on the learnings needs assessment for nurses, developing learning plans and implementing specific nursing trainings.
The IPC & Nursing MIO will visit the priority missions according to 2018 Annual Plan. Visits planning and specific visit Terms of Reference (ToR) will be done in conjunction with Head of Operational Medical Unit, Nursing Referent, Medical Learning Referent, Operational Cell-based Health Advisor (TESACO) and MCT of the Mission. ToR could include several of the tasks described below or others according to identified needs.
During the field visits, he/she works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, by keeping its communication with the different Departments as explained above.
The field visits should normally not exceed 6-8 weeks. It has to be noted that this is a field position; the larger proportion of the time (minimum 70 %) will be spent in the field, with HQ tasks in between the missions. Visit planning could always be modified according to prioritized needs.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
General or common
- Participate in meetings at department and service level as well as in other in-house discussion forums.
- Participate in training sessions (PPD/MMC and HoM/Medco co-days and others upon request) and other national and international events as required by her/his direct manager.
- Participate in updating and adapting the existing tools under his/her domain.
Related to IPC
- Assist and support field teams in the practical implementation of program activities agreed by Operational Cell, following MSF protocols (including implementation of the minimum standards, IEC needs, strategies), and through assessment of ongoing activities at field level.
- Support the field team to implement protocols to reduce the transmission of the Nosocomial infection and to monitor it.
- To participate in data analysis related to IPC at project level.
- Ensure compliance of the MSF IPC standards and protocols in the health facilities and during medical and nursing care.
- Provide trainings and guide the field concerning infection control activities.
- Implement or re-inforce the functioning of a “Hygiene committee” in the health structures
- Identify the main problems or challenges in implementation and respecting the standards related to hygiene and, infection control at the different structures.
- Provide periodic reports after field visits, progress of status and quality of the integration of the Infection control component
Related to nursing, with a focus on training
- Assist and support field teams in implementing learning nursing plans at Field level after performing learning needs assessment. This objective includes:
- To conduct learning needs assessments for nurses, jointly with the nursing field team at Field level.
- Identifying learning gaps from the assessment
- Implementing (with the support of the Nursing technical referent and Medical learning referent at HQ level) a learning plan based on priority needs identified.
- Train and support field teams in the practical implementation of learning activities agreed
- Implement content quality control actions inside the learning plan.
- Evaluate training activates implemented during the visit, providing a written report of each learning activity implemented
- Gather information for nursing training from its implementation in real based operations
This objective includes:
- To identify learning material that could be used for the learning activities packages
- Compilation of relevant material for its validation by the concerned technical referents
- If needed, design some material (content oriented)
Education and experience
- Required profile: Nursing degree
- Field experience with MSF as a nurse and IPC tasks or program
- Clinical experience in paediatric will be an asset
- Good pedagogical skills, experience in providing practical trainings a is an asset.
- Familiar with (and willing to remain updated) with MSF tools and guidelines related to nursing care
- Fluent in English and French. Spanish, Portuguese and/or Arabic are an asset.
- Reporting skills.
- Good computer user skills (Microsoft Office Word and Excel)
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Behavioural flexibility
- Stress management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and quality orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Service orientation
- Teamwork and cooperation
- Willingness to travel at short notice, to whatever context MSF is working in. Mission visits not exceeding 2 months in principle.
- HQ Temporary post based in each home base with frequent travelling and supervisions to the projects (minimum 70% at field level and 30% in HQ/ or working from home)
- Contract: determined period 12 months, with possible extension depending on the evolution of the assigned portfolio.
- Full time job
- Annual gross salary: 26.981,33 € (divided into 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline.
- Starting date: 31 January 2018
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “IPC & Nursing MIO" to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: 7th of February 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.
 Support for determining and validating the content