JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
MSF is increasingly subject to constraining national legislations in running its field operations. Under the responsibility and supervision of OCBA Legal Advisor Focal Point, the incumbent is primarily responsible for applying MSF's legal policy to the area of intervention entrusted to him/her.
The main role of this position is to support the OCBA Legal Advisor Focal Point, regarding the running MSF-OCBA operations and legal issues.
The position of legal advisor support officer is under the hierarchical and the functional supervision of the OCBA Referent Legal Advisor Focal Point based in Madrid.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The incumbent shall work on 3 levels:
- Provide legal assistance to manage OCBA (HQ and Field) contracts;
- Provide legal support to elaborate MOU;
- Provide legal support to OCBA HQ and Field on general legal issues.
The incumbent will also, as part of the legal team, participate in building knowledge and data base on national laws of MSF’s countries of mission.
The legal advisor Focal Point position is based in Barcelona and involves travel to Madrid, other section HQ as well as to the field.
He/she is in charge of the following responsibilities:
- Contracts (MSF Spain headquarters and OCBA field mission), delegated by the Legal Advisor Focal Point, depending on the stakes and complexity of the cases:
- Negotiation and review / drafting of headquarters and field contracts (service agreement, consulting, service delivery, purchase, lease, commercial leases, construction, IT, communication agency etc.)
- Review of proposed changes by suppliers / service providers on MSF model contracts
- Drafting of endorsements
- Analysis and proposal of possible modifications of the provisions of the contracts proposed by suppliers / providers and proactive participation in the negotiations resulting from them.
- Accompanying MSF staff on risk analysis, review of contractual conditions and assistance with negotiation.
- Monitoring of the performance of the contract: advice in the implementation of specific actions related to the problem with the suppliers / providers identified and drafting of documentation relating thereto (implementation guarantees, formal notice, termination, etc.)
- Ensure the appropriate dissemination and use of tools (guidelines, templates…) prepared by the legal department to field and HQ teams
- MOU and registration (OCBA Field Mission)
- Drafting and Review of "Project Memorandum of Understanding" in collaboration with the operational staff under the supervision of OCBA Legal Advisor Focal Point.
- Ensure the coherency with Framework MOUs and collect the signed versions of the Projects MOUS (and update the database)
- Ensure the appropriate dissemination and use of tools (guidelines, templates…) prepared by the legal department concerning MOUs.
- Follow-up the registration files of OCBA’s mission and update the database.
- Participation in the management of pre-litigations and field disputes
- Participation in the management of pre-litigation and field disputes managed by the Legal Advisor Focal Point in support of the teams of desks and field
- Legal support - in collaboration with local law firms if necessary - in the choice of actions to be taken to defend the rights of MSF
- Participate in building the knowledge and data base of national laws of countries of mission, as well as of the relevant administrative documents of OCBA’s missions.
- Collecting relevant texts and laws from the various countries where MSF operates;
- Setting up a legal monitoring system to stay abreast of changes in laws;
- Sharing information and expertise related to legal issues related to the needs of the field missions of OCBA with the other members of the legal department;
- Analyzing and comparing relevant legislation in the countries where MSF operates;
- Conduct research and answer questions regarding interpretation and compatibility of MSF legal documents with national law(s);
- Collecting relevant administrative documents of the field missions (registration, MOU, contract, HR policy…) and storing on the legal department data base.
- Provide Training / Reporting
- Support to the Legal Advisor Focal Point, in the development of training content (preparation of training documents, proposal of innovative training materials, and participation in training courses), as well as briefing.
- Ensure the reporting of its activity.
- Keeps dossier organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and dossier management software.
- Any possible support for accomplishing new and different requests by the Legal Advisor Focal Point in the area of his responsibility.
Education and experience
- University Law Degree and Minimum 2 years of professional experience in private law (labour law, …),
- French and English speaking, Spanish desirable,
- Rigor, clarity and ability to adapt to different legal systems,
- Ability and flexibility to translate an operational negotiation in legal language,
- IT skills (Windows setting, Office package and electronic mail).
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Based in Barcelona, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain headquarters
- Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years.
- Full time work.
- Annual gross salary: 29,479.13 € (divided into 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: immediately
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Legal Advisor Support Officer” to Leandro.SUGAMELI@barcelona.msf.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Closing date: 27th of February 2018
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.