MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The objective of the surgical care referent is to provide technical support for surgery to all projects in the field.
The work will be carried out in the framework of the Strategic plan OCBA, the operational policy and OCBA annual plans as well as the Medical department plans.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The surgical care referent advisor will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Head of Referents – Team A (hospitals / secondary-tertiary health care), and works in close collaboration with the Head of Operational Unit, with the rest of medical referents of the medical department, and with the Op-Cell based Medical advisors.
S/he will be based in Barcelona and give support in this area to the polyvalent medical staff in the cells, the teams in the field and operations department in general at HQ level. While in the field, he/she works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, while keeping communication with the Medical Department.
The successful applicant will be the referent in surgery, being the medical focal point in regard to technical and strategic matters of this domain.
This referent role includes responding to the needs and requests of OCBA missions, as well as providing direct technical support and strategic direction to Operational Cells at headquarters level.
In line with international best practices and standards and in close coordination with other referent advisors, especially with Anaesthesia, Gyn-obstetric, nursing and hospital management referent advisor, the surgical care referent will contribute to a more transversal, integrated and holistic support to the cells and the field.
Based in Barcelona, her/is main responsibility is to provide timely and effective support to the polyvalent medical staff in the cells and the teams in the field of surgery.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
- Provide the strategic direction to MSF OCBA in the areas of surgery by supporting the OCBA Operational Department in defining the strategy for surgery activities inside the existing medical humanitarian portfolio in OCBA
- Ensure internationally recognized surgical quality standards by validated MSF clinical protocols, guidelines and evidence-based practice related to surgery surgical trauma care and burns care
- Conduct field visits and assist in the set-up, implementation and follow-up of projects/programmes and activities with surgical activity
- Contribute to the MSF Surgery Working group activity
- Participate in conferences, congresses, workshops, forums, or medical meetings related to his/her area of work, when requested by the Medical Director and / or validated by his/her Head of referents
- Produce periodic (at least bi-annual) reports on follow-up and analysis of compiled data, figures on surgery activities, from the Health Information System files sent by field missions (HIS).
- Supports the Communication Department when communicating related to surgical activities or programs (interviews with press and other media)
- To support the Human Resources Department in the recruitment, matching and professional develop the pool of surgeons
- Identify the training needs related to surgery and in collaboration with the Medical Learning Advisor and MSF OCBA training unit
- To perform on the job training and mentoring national and international surgeon in order to contribute to build up internal organization capacity
- Provide answers and guidance to field staff clinical questions via the MSF Telemedicine platform, deciding allocation policy.
- When required she/he will provide technical advice in the resolution of events related to Severe Medical Adverse Events and Medical Professional Commission.
- Participate in the roster of Medical Guardia
Education, Experience and desired attributes
- Medical doctor, certified surgeon
- Wide experience in all aspects of surgery, including surgical trauma care and burns management.
- At least one year field experience as a surgeon with surgical programmers in humanitarian crisis situations, preferably with MSF.
- Experience with research and publications are preferable.
- Education and /or experience in Public health will be a valuable asset.
- Proficiency in the English and French language. Knowledge of other languages (Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese) is an asset.
- Knowledge in computer: Excel, Word and PowerPoint programmes.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Based in Barcelona–Spain, at the Médecins sans Frontières OCBA Headquarters within the OCBA Medical Department, with frequent travelling (approximately 30% of her/his working time) for field visits abroad and /or for international meetings.
- Fulltime job
- Minimum commitment with the position of 3 years
- Annual gross salary: 35,964.18 € (12 months payments) + secondary benefits, based on OCBA reward policy
- Starting date: 02 November 2017.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover letter under the reference “Surgical Referent” to email@example.com
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Closing date: October 24th, 2017
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position. Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.