Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Logistics Department.
MSF aims to provide medical assistance to the population in need; the objective of a Watsan intervention within MSF is to reduce the morbidity and mortality caused by both Watsan-related diseases and nosocomial infections, so to broaden the impact that our medical activities have on our beneficiaries.
Accountable to the Head of Operational Logistics and functionally reporting to the WHS Technical referent, the MIO WHS main objective is to help in the deployment and implementation of the Water Sanitation and Hygiene projects, policies, strategies and procedures of the organization programmes in the field. This implementation will be done directly, with the pertinent adaptations and corrections agreed with his/her functional responsible, and through the training of the personnel involved in WHS in the missions. The MIO WHS is part of the WHS Team, within the Technical Support Area of the Logistics Department.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The job is structured around 4 main tasks:
- The MIO WHS will conduct regular field visits to missions/projects to provide support on the evaluation of needs, the definition of strategies and field policies (aligned with the Technical Referent), and the implementation or launching of key activities to achieve the quality standards both in Health Structures and with Communities (Displaced population). S/he will also conduct trainings on relevant topics to the staff of the mission (WHS and Infection Control, basic WHS…). S/he will have a portfolio of countries to follow throughout the year.
- Participate in assessments. The MIO WHS will always be subject to conduct WHS assessments for emergency response or project that some missions might need.
- Emergency Support. The MIO WHS will also be ready to support any major emergency that arise. In these cases, the MIO WHS will act as a WHS Coordinator and could be devoted into a mission for a period of up to 4 months. The MIO WHS will have the duty to define the WHS response strategy for the intervention, its monitoring and the exit strategy.
- Training. The MIO WHS will participate in the review, design and presenting of MSF training modules when not in the field. Coaching of other human resources in the field will also form an important component of his/her responsibilities.
When the MIO WHS is not on mission and after enjoying his/her R&R / holidays, s/he will support the Watsan Unit in tasks to be defined, which amongst others could include, temporarily doing the backup of the Watsan Technical referent responsible.
Education and experience
- Technical education related to the job profile.
- Capacity to understand and analyze the links between morbidities and WHS, and experience in specific programs that involve a link between WHS related morbidities and outreach WHS activities (Malnutrition, Cholera, Malaria …)
- Experience leading, coaching or working with teams in some remote, or security tight context to achieve desired results.
- At least two years of WHS experience in the field, responding to emergencies in poor income countries and with responses focusing in displaced people.
- MSF field experience as a Watsan or Wash is a plus
- Good understanding of computers and new technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication to motivate and influence the teams.
- Essential to have very good command of French and English.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Flexibility in terms of working hours (need to work some weekends)
- Based in the field with frequent travelling and supervisions to the projects (minimum 80 % of his/her working time)
- Full time job with peaks of intense activity and workload (in emergencies)
- Contract duration: 1 year, with possible renewal
- Annual gross salary: 26,981.33 Euros (divided into 12 months payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline.
- Starting date: February 2017
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference
“MIO WHS” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Closing date: January 17th, 2017
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.