Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the XXX Department.
The Learning Unit is integrated in the Human Resources Department, and works closely with all MSF-OCBA departments with the objective of providing adequate learning solutions to the diverse needs of the missions, teams and individuals across the organization. The learning needs addressed range from induction to managerial to technical issues, including many medical, logistics, human resources aspects that are central to the success of the operations.
The Learning Unit is in charge of providing advice to the organisation, generating new learning solutions, and coordinating the most formal part of the learning offer. The Learning Unit is structured around 3 main activity areas (face-to-face trainings, e-learnings and field support) and composed by administrative staff, Learning Officers Learning Managers and one Head of Unit. In complement to this, three Learning Referents are located in the Operations, Medical and Logistical Departments in order to provide dedicated support.
The PPD (Préparation Premier Départ or First Departure Preparation) is the main induction course to MSF, addressed to newly recruited international staff (with less than 3 months experience in the organization). It aims to prepare staff for their first mission in the field, by developing a practical understanding about key topics that will ensure a quick and smooth integration into MSF.
The PPD course is a blended training program, which means blending toghether online and face-to-face activities. It is composed of a Common Week for a generic introduction to MSF and then different Technical Weeks for the different profiles (Medical, Logistical, Financial, HR/Fin Administration). The registration of participants and the online activities usually start between eight to six weeks before the face-to-face course. The main training site is Barcelona.
Every year MSF OCBA organizes five editions of the PPD course. Some of the Technical Weeks are organized in collaboration with other Operational Centers, and others have been subcontracted to external providers.
The PPD Coordinator, working under the supervision of a Learning Manager, is responsible for the adequate organization and implementation of the PPD Program along the year, aiming at a sound delivery of all training activities, seeking the best use of resources (human and material) and contributing for the continuous improvement of the program.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Plans and coordinates implementation of PPD courses according to the yearly PPD Plan and the LU course implementation procedures.
- Oversees proper communication about the PPD Program with all relevant stakeholders (participants, MSF departments, external suppliers) along the different phases of the program
- Acts as a focal point for the internal and external providers and facilitators, including those from other OCs (for PPD Admin) and outsourced to external companies (PPD Log, PPD med)
- Maintains PPD Course documentation (OL and F2F) updated and available for the different users
- Reviews and improves PPD implementation protocols and tools
- Monitors proper functioning of PPD participants application process and liases with Recruitment and Pool management areas to ensure proper planning and collaboration
- Coordinates Learning Unit Administrators assigned to PPD editions to ensure proper execution of administrative and logistical activities.
- Works with eCampus administration to ensure good functioning of PPD online activities
- Provides PPD facilitators with required information and documentation for preparing delivery of training modules.
- Provides pedagogical support to PPD content owners and facilitators for the continuous improvements of the sessions and delivers Training of Trainers sessions aimed at enhancing facilitation skills of those involved in delivering PPD modules.
- Coordinates online course and follows-up participants activities at the eCampus
- Coordinatinaes implementation of F2F sessions , facilitating the logical linkage and articulation between the different training modules.
- Supports facilitators during training modules, contributing to the sound implementation of learning activities (debates, group work, etc.)
- Supports participants and actively manages as required group dynamics created during the sessions
- May facilitate/co-facilitate some PPD sessions depending on personal MSF professional background and experience.
- Analyses course evaluations, prepares course report for each edition and provides feedback to facilitators
- Introduces updates to the PPD Program content in line with Departments requirements
- Proposes and implements improvements to training methodology at OL and F2F course
- Prepares annual course report with summary of activities and propposals for improvement
- Collaborates in the yearly planning of the PPD Program (Schedule , Budget and Action Plan)
- Collaborates in initiatives related to the improvement of Onboarding and Induction solutions in MSF
Education and Experience
- Experience in organizing and implementing training programs
- Experience in developing and facilitating learner-centred activities
- Adult learning principles and training of trainers expertise
- Familiar with PPD Program
- Field experience with MSF
- Coordination/HR Management experience in the Field will be a plus
- High level of English and Spanish; French will be a plus
- Advanced user of MS office applications (excel, word)
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Motivation for working in humanitarian sectors.
- Flexible working hours during training programs implementation.
- Position based in Barcelona at MSF-OCBA headquarters and in PPD venue during course implementation
- Part-time job, 30 hours per week (75%)
- 12 months position
- Flexible work schedule according to course implementation requirements
- Annual gross salary (based on 40-hours week): € 27,719.72 + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting September 2019
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “PPD Course Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
Closing date: July 19th, 2019
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
MSF OCBA is a people-focused humanitarian organization that offers a diverse, collaborative, and inclusive work environment. We believe this approach enhances our work and we are committed to equity in employment. We embrace diverse backgrounds of people working together to exhibit their passion in action for the social mission of MSF.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.