Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the TEMBO Program.
In 2017, MSF OCBA was awarded the possibility of carrying out a Transformational Investment Programme by the MSF international movement, with the overall objective of transforming the way MSF staff works and learns in the organization.
The program, which is named TEMBO (elephant in Swahili) and has the foreseen duration of three years, aims to provide MSF workers with personal learning and development environments (PLDE) – a learning approach and system that helps learners to take control and manage their own learning and, therefore, their own development. Customized to each individual needs and learning competences, this personally-managed space will allow real-time effective access to a wide range of learning and development solutions.
TEMBO will help MSF staff to solve their immediate needs, and at the same time offer effective means to boost their motivation and develop knowledge and competencies for their professional future, in a versatile way. This will require an adequate balance between organisational and individual needs, and will be implemented across the organisation through an important cultural change component, and a mindful effort to diminish or eliminate those barriers that prevent our people from learning and developing themselves effectively.
TEMBO will offer staff a complete solution that complements the current Learning Management System (MSF e-Campus) with procedures, strategies and tools to enhance people’s control over their own learning and development. In other words, will permit the learning that happens in the workplace and through interactions with others by supporting:
- Learning in the workplace through experience, practice and reflection
- Social learning through both professional and personal networks
- Performance supporting tools such as job aid tools, interactive tools, videos, guidelines
Besides, TEMBO will provide adapted learning solutions to the different segments of individuals according to their needs, backgrounds and capacities.
Additionally, this project includes the development of a number of other products for the organisation such as knowledge management tools.
The TEMBO ecosystem is composed of 4 components which form the sub-projects or workstreams of the overall TEMBO program:
- PLDE+OLE Ecosystem & Digital Infrastructures Enhancement design and implementation provides the different technologies and infrastructure that will support learning: LMS, Certification System, AI Learning System, Mobile App and Local Servers.
- My future development defines the career and learning paths (frameworks) needed for development and learning and systems to certify knowledge and competences acquired.
- Tembo Adoption Framework and field implementation – to deploy TEMBO to the field, ensuring adoption and scale-up across all missions.
- MSF Knowledge Flow and Content Refinement upgrades and expands current learning and development solutions and content in each of the key domains (operations, medical, logistics, HR, etc.) that MSF staff will reach through their personal learning environment in TEMBO. It also includes connecting with others in Communities of Practices and provides Community Managers to facilitate conversations and ensure high quality content knowledge and tools.
The Mobile Advice Management MIO will work within the TEMBO Program Team. Hierarchically accountable to the Personal Learning & Development Digital Ecosystem Project Manager, and functionally accountable to the Project Manager for Tembo Adoption and Deployment.
III. CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROJECT
After almost two years of investments developing the foundation of the project and learning from the initial pilots, the program will enter the deployment, adoption and scaling-up phase with the use of TEMBO in our field projects.
During 2019 we expect to deploy the TEMBO Digital Learning Ecosystem including different resources ( ElSoL, Clinical skills, CoP’s, Digital pioneers, e-campus courses, ops manual, PMR resource).
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
- Visit OCBA missions to give on-site ICT expert advice and support to activities linked to TEMBO Ecosystem deployment according to planned field visits or the specific requirements of TEMBO Program.
- Carry out evaluations of technical TEMBO activities and document and make available the lesson learnt accordingly.
- Support the efficiency of ICT infrastructure in the field linked to TEMBO Ecosystem, by providing proactive advice to all stakeholders. Operations, Logistics, Field Teams, Project teams, Service Delivery teams.
- Ensure coherent architecture depending on needs of central ICT infrastructure, connectivity, operating system, application layer, data security and MDM.
- Advise field teams about ICT best practices on information security (IS) regarding the use of technology in TEMBO Ecosystem.
- Act as second support level for ICT services / platforms linked to TEMBO environment in the missions, following MSF OCBA standards and policies, and keeping a proper documentation of each case.
- Propose, plan and implement ICT solutions by leading specific initiatives and projects based on TEMBO needs analysis.
- Receive, set and validate ICT equipment to be used for deployment of TEMBO Ecosystem in the missions.
- Stay up to date on hardware developments in mobile devices (tablets, phones) and IoT.
- Participate in R&D initiatives related to TEMBO Program where a technical role is needed.
- Ensure a coherent documentation (processes, procedures and others knowledge assets/tools) is available for field teams.
- Support the whole training process related to his/her expertise including needs analysis, draft documentation, perform the training and evaluate its final results.
- Train and share his/her expertise with teammates, field staff or other MSF teams.
- Become available for field deployment on technical preparation of TEMBO tools.
- Evaluate and ensure the operation of the ICT infrastructure linked to TEMBO Ecosystem.
- Improvements in management processes, reporting and analysis of monitoring activities of ICT infrastructure.
- Evaluation of ICT needs in Mission, propose trainings.
Education and experience
- Systems or Telecommunication Engineer degree
- Fluent in English and French. Spanish desirable
- Certification as Mobile App Developer or similar.
- Service management methodology, ITIL desirable
- Project Management methodology is an asset
- Field experience with MSF or supporting MSF operations is a plus
- Exceptional customer service orientation
- Manage Enterprise Architecture
- Manage Relationships
- Manage Service Agreements
- Manage Suppliers
Good command of:
- Use and support of Microsoft Office suites (mainly Office 365 cloud environment), Intranet based on MSF Sharepoint.
- Operating systems: MS Windows, MS Windows Server, Linux.
- Mobile Operating Systems: Android, iOS.
- Development, deployment and support of mobile applications.
- Development, deployment and support of E-Learning platforms such as Totara/Moodle and other opensource systems.
- Architecture and communications systems.
- DB Administration: MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Telecommunications: mobile communications, VSAT, satellite, WLAN, Networking.
- Others: Data integration, reporting, cloud platforms (Azure, AWS)
Previous experience in a similar job or in other jobs within the Organisation or Sector
- 2 years’ experience supporting Systems and Telecommunication services in complex contexts.
- Specialized courses in Microsoft, Linux, Android and iOS operating systems.
- Experience managing and supporting Networking environments.
- Experience with satellite communication platforms (Bgan, Satphones, Vsat, etc.) Certification is an asset.
- Knowledge transfer and training people.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organizing
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Perform under stress, deal with persons acting under stress and adapt when confronted with emergency situations
- Field visit to unstable context project.
- Provide support to different entities MSF OCBA
- Coordinate with Field ICT line manager
- HQ position home based, with frequent field visits (up to 80% of the time)
- Contract: 6 months, with possible extension
- Full time job
- Salary Scale: B7
- Gross annual salary: 26,981.28 Euros (divided into 12 months payments) + secondary benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline
- Starting date: June2019.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “MIO DEPIT3" to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 29/05/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.